Monday, May 24, 2010

The little things


My husband and I ponder together often. We sit in the cool of the morning or evening and try to figure out people and life and our place in this world. One resource that has given us much to think and talk about is a book he is reading: The Call by Os Guinness. I cannot tell you the countless lessons it has led us to, but this morning was especially profound. Guinness says that George MacDonald writes in his piece "The Shadows," "the mark of a true vision of things is that 'instead of making common things look commonplace, as a false vision would have done, it had made common things disclose the wonderful that was in them.'"

For the girl who gets trapped in the obligation of living for the glorious, this is a beautiful wake-up call. I am the sure product of a father who demanded not just excellence--but perfection in all that we did. He taught us that being the best, the top, the most celebrated should be the aim of our life's work--and he walked it out to prove it. Now, it is not for me to point a finger at my father and disagree with the choices that seem to have served him well, but this vision of a life well-lived just doesn't suit me. Probably because I have chosen to be a mom, to let my degree serve as a backdrop for teaching my own children, to spend many days nursing and making peanut butter sandwiches and, honestly? Cleaning lots of poop. For a long, long time I thought I turned my back on the accolades I was beginning to collect and choose, instead, the second-rate. Not that my life is in any way second-rate in my heart--just the opposite. But I felt that through my choices I was letting someone down, and that I was committing the great American sin of not "living up to my potential."

But in this life--the one that false vision would call commonplace--I have found the truest and deepest of meaning and beauty. In this life, I have discovered a passion for writing I never knew I had. I am the one who kisses my children's tears away and lays them down for naps. I listen to my children's jokes and their questions about life--and we try to find answers together. I read stories and learn along with my children every day. Some days I cry because we go without some of life's luxuries and pleasures, and I wonder if it is all worth it. Some days I get frustrated when my Pollyanna life just falls apart into chaos. Some days I do laundry and dishes and garden and cook, and some days I do none of those things. Some days I enjoy the simple pleasure of watching my two youngest serve each other cookie dough while we bake together in the kitchen.
But the key for me, and maybe for you, is that no matter how I spend my day, I do even the mundane because it's what I love--even if I do not do it well--even if there is no one to congratulate me at the end of my road. In each day, I can ask myself, am I making the common things disclose the wonder that is in them? And if yes is the answer, then I have lived well.

6 comments:

  1. I love this, Lisa. It's something that we all strive to remember. Society, and parents, and The Jonses, all make us doubt our choices sometimes. But you're so right, if we don't find wonder and beauty in the common things, then we are missing the heart of life. We're just chasing shadows. So glad to be a part of your life and your new found passion for writing. Someone commented on your last magpie that the world needs your voice...and that is SO true. Here's to finding your voice, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was awesome...living up to otheres idea of success will leave us empty...your last paragraphs speaks volumes...i often ask myself if i touched a life today...and if i can say yes, then it was a good day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. And here's to you, Melinda--certainly the catalyst for my new passion. Your own writing is a great inspiration to me--it is so honest and genuinely beautiful. And Brian--thanks for always stopping by to read--your comments (and your blog) are so uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how your heart speaks here.

    My husband & I have agreed that right now my full time job is mom. 100%.

    I enjoyed reading these lines,

    "But in this life--the one that false vision would call commonplace--I have found the truest and deepest of meaning and beauty."

    A passion for writing, a passion for mothering. They are both intricate parts of life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to think that everything has a good secret within. Just observing uncovers life itself. You're doing well..we don't have to live up to cultural demands!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Lisa. Just read your Magpie and kept going. Your 14 year old is reflecting your wisdom, not the other way around and you got there by 'smelling the roses' unlike your poor father who needed validation from outsiders.

    Your green grass is under your feet now and you know it. Can't fool me! ;-)

    ReplyDelete