Monday, December 7, 2009

Life by the Fire


Today I wrote for a while on the couch-- draped in a Christmas blanket-- beside a warm fire. My astute daughter asked me if this is the reason I went to college--so I can work from home by the fire and not have to be in a building somewhere wearing a skirt (my daughter equates wearing a skirt with having bamboo shoved under her fingernails). She doesn't really get that I am home to be with her and my other three children, and I don't wear a skirt because it rides up when I bend over to clean the toilet. Nonetheless, one day she will know the joy that comes from spending each day doing what you love most. And I am hopeful that she will drape herself in the assurance of my love for her and know that, for me, each day with her and with her brothers and sister is a day by the fire.

8 comments:

  1. I think I've seen you clean a toilet in a skirt...and yes, it did ride up. Sexy...;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, M. It's good to know that at 41, and with a toilet brush in hand no less, I am still bringin' it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your daughter - wearing a skirt in an office all day IS like shoving bamboo under your fingernails!!!!

    I may try the whole skirted toilet cleaning look tonight and see what happens.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa - You have a beautiful family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And funny! Lisa, you paint well. I enjoyed this picture!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becky, you and my daughter would be fast friends! Thank you so much for the compliment on my family--I do enjoy them so much. Let me know how the toilet cleaning in the skirt goes--I'd love to know;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tonya, thanks for your kind compliment--your words carry much weight with me :)

    ReplyDelete