Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Sista

If my sister-in-law were an element, she would be Earth. When I am with her, my roots dig deep and flex and curl, and then my soul soars. She is alive and ever-changing but has an undefinable stability about her.

She is my sista--she gets me, and I adore her. We talk about God and sex and books and parents and bitter disappointment and nieces who want cookies and pudding. We belly laugh and weep together. She is coffee with cream for me and the sweet smell of rain. She drinks red wine and talks REALLY LOUD and leaves me intoxicated with giddy laughter.

And I love her for that.

4 comments:

  1. Will you read this at my funeral? It makes me sound so cool...I want to know that woman!

    Thank you, sista.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thank God I am not waiting for your funeral to tell you how amazing you are. I think if any of your friends saw this they would wholeheartedly agree--you are cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you don't mind if I jump in here and say...yep...totally cool.

    Although if you think she's loud, I'd hate to think what you'd make of me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only think she's loud after she has had a bottle of red wine :)

    ReplyDelete